Canning, Cooking, Cutting, Quilting....

I've been a bit busy on the home front within the past week or so.  Which means I've not been online as much as usual...which you may or may not have noticed. ;o)  Anyways, here's a glimpse of some of the activities that have been making me happy...
Canning salsa!  I was thrilled to find everything I needed for salsa, at one of the local farmer's markets in the city.  I hadn't planned on making salsa, I was there to buy some veggie staples to lay up for the winter months ahead. However,when we finished off the last jar of homemade salsa last week, there was considerable moaning from my menfolk over it.   Apparently, store bought salsa doesn't measure up.  Did I mention that it's taken us three years to consume all the salsa I canned back in 2007? (I kinda went overboard in my salsa making that year.  Pounds of hot peppers were used in my quest to produce a "make your eyes water , nose run, lose your voice" kind of salsa... the way my hubby likes it.  Dozens of pint jars were filled with salsa that year and honestly, as much as we like salsa, you really can't eat it three times a day... although I think my youngest son would be up for that challenge. LOL)


 
Now along with the salsa making, I've been cooking like crazy.  I've been trying out new recipes practically daily.  Mostly, from this book.   I spent so much time cooking, I didn't find time to take pictures of all that I made, so you'll just have to trust me on this, okay?  I mean, honestly, with the amount of food two hollow legged teenagers and one grown man eat, it's a wonder I have time to do anything besides cook.  ;o)  Whew.   So, today, my stockpot has taken a break from cooking soups or chili and has been put into action in another way.  I've loaded it with some of my retro linens in an attempt to whiten them a bit.  Prepping them for a project I have in mind.

 
Lucky for me, my kitchen and crafting space are side by side, which means that I can slip from cooking something over to cutting something.  Yes, I'm chopping up more of those plaid shirts in my stash.  It's amazing how much fabric is in them.

 
Finally, a peek at a new quilt top I'm working on.  No need to guess who this quilt is for. LOL   My oldest son knows that any plaid project on my work table is destined for him.  The two other males in this household don't share his affinity for plaid.  At. All.


That's my week in a nutshell.  Now, I need to catch up on what you've been doing!

Comments

  1. A pretty productive week Katherine! Hollow legged teenagers... LOL! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween costumes. They have been consuming most of my time and I am sooooooo over them. ve not
    Oh and I have been meaning to tell you- I started, but have not finished a patchwork quilted journal cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quilt. I love the idea and I love that it is all plaid. Very cool. Your son has good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I missed out on making salsa this year. I will really miss it in the winter. I have been busy working ugh so not much production in the sewing space. love the sunshine!! cool plaid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those jars of salsa look yum yum!

    They'll be a tasty treat for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made salsa last year. It was hotter than I expected, but surprisingly, it actually mellowed over time. Or maybe our tongues just got calloused. Either way, it was so good. All gone now. This year, I made spaghetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have been busy! I remember when your youngest son would comment that the salsa was too hot, but it sounds like his tastes buds have grown similar to his father's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a surprise to me when my son got to the "hollow leg" syndrome. But what fun to fill them up. I love salsa but not the nose running kind and I always admire people who can eat and relish it.
    The new quilt top will be a keeper for you son. How did you find so many types of plaids? Years of saving? Or cut up shirts? I hope you included some of his old favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your salsa looks delicious, it seems like you had a lot of fun cooking! And not only that, cutting all those pieces for another plaid project has also kept you busy! A very productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I canned lots of salsa last year and this year hardly any tomatoes, so I'm glad I kept keeping on. I even made green tomato mincemeat which I really love--and we always have at least one mince pie for Thanksgiving.

    One funny--the two oldest moved back home to go to college when we moved to a college town for one of my hubby's jobs. One day our oldest was bringing up lots of jars of home canned peaches (very expensive, btw) and I asked him what he was doing with our peaches and he said that he was making dutch oven peach cobbler and they were only bottled peaches!!!! Oh, I won't even tell you what I was thinking. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!