Show Us Your Stash ~ Thread

A thread stash seems to go hand in glove with having a fabric stash... so, I decided to join in on the fun over at SewMamaSew and answer their questions about thread.

1. How did you select colours for your personal thread collection?
I always stock basic or neutrals and then colours get added as determined by my projects.

2. Do you always match the colour perfectly to your project?
No! It basically depends on what I want for a finished look - if I want the thread to blend in with the fabric, I'll match. Otherwise, it's fun to add some contrast or interest by not matching thread and fabric.

3. Do you ever use contrasting thread?
Yes. I love using a contrasting thread for top stitching especially when I use a twin needle or a decorative stitch I want to feature.

4. Do you use the same colour in the bobbin as the upper thread?
Not always. It's fun to mix it up a bit and for this reason I will not always match the two. I'll do this for my machine quilting or when I'm top stitching on garments.

5. What if a fabric has big areas of very different colours?
Again, it will depend upon what I'm looking for in the finished project. If I want the thread to "disappear" then I will use a neutral colour or any colour that will best blend into the background. I have even found that variegated thread can blend quite nicely if you get the same range of colour in the thread that the fabric has. If I'm going for contrast then I will choose a bold but complimentary thread colour to make sure it stands out on the fabric.

6. Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread?
Buy quality thread and match the fibre content to the project you're working on. Early on, I learned that cheap quality thread made the sewing more challenging (it kept breaking and would create more lint than the good stuff). If you're going to put time into making something, it's just worth it to not skimp on using quality thread.

7. Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection?
The above photo shows my fledgling collection of vintage threads. I love those old wooden spools! They take me back to my childhood with my great grandmother who taught me to hand sew and started my love of handicrafts.

8. Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the colour (without a particular project in mind)?
Oh, yes. I find specialty threads very hard to resist. Silky rayon, variegated cotton quilting threads and even metallic threads have all made their way into my thread stash based upon a "love at first sight" purchase.

9. Do you "invest" in thread?
I do stock up on the basics every time they're on sale - to guarantee that I'll never be without. Nothing worse than running out of thread when you're caught up in a project and it's after business hours!

10. What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.)
All-purpose, elastic, machine and hand quilting, serger thread, embroidery threads in rayon and silk, metallic, mono filament, button hole wt., woolly nylon and variegated threads. I've even used baby yarn as a decorative thread on my serger.

Comments

  1. what a great collection you've there!

    I'm loving your late work with linen!!! You know how much I love linen, don't you? :)
    I have to return to my linen works quickly. Definitely knitting depresses me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the old spools! My sewing machine works best with one brand of thread, so I guess she has a mind of her own!

    Do you ever use polyester thread for a cotton project?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!