Bright, easy baby quilt

The whole idea for making this simple baby quilt came from seeing a strip of pieced flannels in the scrap bundle I received last month from Jacqueline. Feeling inspired, I took that scrap strip, squared it up and sewed it with the coordinating flannels I found at my local fabric store.

One side of the quilt is a meter and a half (or apprx. 60 inches) cut of Sandi Henderson's Farmer's Market
and the other side uses the pieced strip with a solid pink flannel. Now as quick and easy as the piecing went, it took me a little thinking time to figure out how to quilt it. I came up with a continuous, large flower design. Here you can see a close-up of my quilting.

I used a variegated pink thread to freehand machine quilt flowers to cover the baby quilt (along with a few intervals of stipple quilting to cover the corners and quilt edges).Once I had finished the quilt completely, I tossed it into the washing machine. Normally, I pre wash all my fabrics before starting, but not this time. The last two photos along with the first photo in this post show the quilt after I washed it. The fabrics shrank a bit but thankfully, in a good way. I love the softer, crinkly look it now has. Can you see how much more texture the quilt has when compared with the middle photos?

I just need to add a quilt label and this gift is ready to be given to the new sweet baby girl of a friend.
I'm slowly getting my "gifts to sew list" whittled down. I have more gift sewing to share, stay tuned. ;o)

Comments

  1. Clever girl! You make it look s easy!!
    Love your flower design quilting stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful fabrics and colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it great where inspiration comes from....beautiful job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simplicity of this quilt. I am in the middle of making a baby quilt but don't know if it's going to be a boy or a girl, so I might just make 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the flowers you quilted on this, must try that sometime. p.s. i never prewash my fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that luscious pink and gorgeous quilting! Great job Katherine and a very sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious quilt, you've done such a beautiful job creating this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute baby quilt!! I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, the quilted flowers are gorgeous! nice work! how fun that you found that flannel at your local fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SOOOOOOOO smitten....... oh my eyes are feasting!!!!!!!

    Now that's a baby blanket par excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry, but i just drooled ALL OVER THAT QUILT! that floral fabric from Sandi Henderson is some of my favorite fabric of all time. (and now i'm wondering why i didn't snatch up more of it when i had the chance! it's a beauty, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead...say something! Got a question for me? Ask it! I can't wait to hear from you... so start writing... and thanks in advance for letting me know you're sharing in my online adventures. Hugs and happiness to you!